While there are plenty of night jobs, a lot of them are specific to certain educational, skills or experience requirements such as in the fields of healthcare, transportation, and management. If you qualify for one of these more professional positions, that is great. However, there are some job seekers who just want to quickly get a night shift job. Here are a few companies who hire for 2nd and 3rd shift jobs. Most of these opportunities do not have very stringent requirements except for background checks.
1. Caregiver to Pets: PetSmart hires overnight workers to feed, comfort, exercise, and clean areas for animals that stay in their pet hotel. Yes, PetSmart has a PetsHotel; dogs and cats reside in style on cots while watching television and playing with toys. The company trains pet care specialists to be certified in safety.
2. Home Instead Senior Care is looking for caregivers to provide security and support to elderly customers in their homes in sleeping or awake overnight shifts. The companion’s duties are to carry on conversations, assist with toileting, remind the client about medications, do some light housekeeping, prepare meals and help with grooming.
3. WIS International has job ads for staff to work on their inventory teams. The teams travel to warehouses and retail establishments to count inventory. At times the employee will need to stay or work overnight. Additionally, work is generally performed in early morning, weekends or late night hours when businesses are closed. This company also hires drivers who earn slightly more than inventory takers.
4. Care.com has dozens of ads for babysitters. Parents who work evenings and overnight need someone to watch their kids; getting them to bed, monitor while sleeping and get them up and off to school in the morning. Some moms or dads need help with picking kids up from school or activities, preparing dinner, studying, cleaning, and everything else that a parent would do with a child.
5. Marriot Hotels in many locations need guest services representatives and night auditors for 2nd and 3rd shifts. This job is two positions combined. One is to check in guests, accommodate their preferences, open an account for them, assign a room and issue keys, answer phones and generally provide customer service. The other part of the job is to close out guest accounts for the day. This part is done late at night and includes finalizing invoices, counting money on hand, and preparing financial reports.
As you can see, there are some unique opportunities to work at night and you do not have to be a rocket scientist or take a job that is unsafe or awful. Just search our job board with the phrase, “night shift” and these job ads pop up.